Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Making the Jump into UVA Athletics

Amber Fry, First Year, Northfield Illinois

The transition from high school to college is almost always a big jump for any athlete. Even for those who played for intense clubs or high school teams, college tends to take it to a much higher level. This would include fitness, talent, competition, and dedication. The biggest difference between high school/club soccer and playing for the University of Virginia is the commitment level and intensity. Not to say that I wasn't committed to my high school and club team, but college is more than just a team; it's a lifestyle. Everything revolves around training, games, and traveling. We have hard practices, fun practices, and some practices that leave your muscles so sore it's difficult to sit down. But we must appreciate the reward of getting extremely fit through this program, though. Soccer is the biggest part of my life in college. Soccer was a large part of my life before college, but now it has become my life. We live and breathe soccer. It's awesome. It takes a lot more effort to balance trainings, games, and traveling with keeping up my grades in school, but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Athletes must learn to balance their priorities while maintaining a high level performance in their sport. Enjoying the ride with an amazing team makes it easier to handle. I love my teammates, my coaches, and this University in general. I have learned to embrace the challenges of all the work in soccer and school and realize how lucky I am to be playing for a team at a school as incredible as UVA.

No comments:

Post a Comment