Friday, October 29, 2010

Virginia Women's Soccer 25th Anniversary Banquet by Katie Carr

Hey guys,
So a couple weeks ago we celebrated the 25th anniversary of women's soccer here at the University of Virginia. Alumni, past and present coaches, family members and our current team all gathered at John Paul Jones Arena's dining hall and had a banquet with interesting speakers from previous virginia teams and enjoyed a great meal. The speakers included the woman who founded the virginia women's soccer program, the male student who was the coach for the first "trial" year and then the head coach who took over for the next couple years when the program was established as a legitimate college program, Lauren Gregg. It was so cool hearing about how much effort, determination and passion that was put into making the program the way it is today, a top 10 program in the country. Its crazy to think that all of this occurred just 25 years ago (i'm 21 so its just about as old as i am....weirddd) Anyway, I was lucky enough to speak on behalf of my teammates at the banquet. It was extremely intimidating talking in front of some of the best players that have ever played women's soccer along with some of the best coaches in the history of soccer. It was also very humbling knowing how the program began and knowing that we are all connected to eachother through this very special and elite program. Our team is extremely grateful for everything these previous players, coaches and staff have done for our program, breaking stereotypes and pushing boundaries. Beacuase of them, we and future generations are able to play the game we love and enjoy every second of it! I will always have fond memories of my "Virginia soccer family" and its so cool knowing that I will always share a special bond with people I had the priveledge of meeting at the banquet because we have all worn the Virginia jersey at some point over these 25 years. I know that the friends I've made here I will have for the rest of my life, and for that, I will always have the greatest memories of Virginia soccer.
 
 
-katie carr

No comments:

Post a Comment